April 17, 2012

Learned the Hard Way

Learned the Hard Way. What’s a lesson you learned the hard way? Write about it for 15 today.

The lesson I learned the hard way just recently was that if I am second guessing the place where I am inserting my sensor, then I should probably pay attention to that!

A few weeks ago it was time for me to change my sensor.  I ripped out the old one and prepped for a new one.  As I put the inserter against the skin on my stomach I thought to my self "Self, you should move where you are going to put this into down or over."  I didn't listen to Self and just decided to put it in.  When it went in, there was a lot of blood that filled up inside of it, but I figured it would clot and I would be fine.  So, I put the tape over it and decided I'd check it later.  30 minutes later I look down at it and there is blood filling up on top of the sensor touching the tape.  This doesn't look so good.  Finally I decide to just take it out.  I took the tape off and there was a goo of blood sitting on top of where it is inserted.  I removed the sensor and all of a sudden blood started just POURING out of this tiny little hole...POURING.  It dripped down onto my pants and I had to cup underneath it to try to catch it.  I was walking to the sink in the kitchen with blood just spurting out and dripping down onto the floor.  I grabbed a kitchen towel, the first thing I could find, and held it against the tiny hole with so much blood coming out.  A minute or two later I took it away and it was still spurting blood and the towel was bloody.  Gross.  I sat down on a chair and just decided that I would hold it there until it stopped.  I started thinking about what would happen if I bled to death...haha...clearly not thinking straight.  Thought about who I should call to come over if it never stopped bleeding..still not thinking straight.  But after about 30 minutes I finally checked again and it had stopped.  There was blood all over the towel, my clothes and the kitchen.  I had a nice bruise on my stomach for the next few days.  I figure I must have hit something, but wow, that was crazy!  Anyway, thankful to be alive...next time I'll switch where I'm inserting it!

No comments: