April 6, 2012

Haiku This.

Health haiku. Write a haiku about your health focus. 5 syllables/7 syllables/5 syllables. Write as many as you like.

No.  I disagree with writing any sort of poetry...and reading it as well.  I'm going to write about insurance.

Insurance can drive me crazy.  I'm very very grateful to have insurance, don't get me wrong, but it can drive me batty.  The thing on my mind lately with insurance is that you have to go with whatever brands they cover, not with what you work with the best. 

I grew up with Kaiser and Kaiser covered Minimed and Lifescan products.  LOVE all these products.  Then I was under my own insurance.  Covered the same stuff.  Awesome.  Then my work changed insurances and they wouldn't cover the specific insulin I was on, so I had to pay the higher premium to get the one that worked best for me.  (Which we found out later it didn't matter...it was just one vial of insulin that was bad...but that's a story for another day)  They covered different strips so I had to get a different blood testing meter...one that did not talk to my pump.  But when I got my sensor, my Dr. wanted me to use the meter that talked to my pump so I paid the higher premium for the other strips, but by this point we realized that I could use either insulin, so I started using the one that was covered by the new insurance.  So, at this point I'm still using the stuff that I used to with Kaiser, that I loved, just paying much more for it!

Then when I got let go at work and got a job at a different place, I had to wait two months before having insurance again, since I didn't want to pay 450 a month to have cobra.  Awesome.  Now I have to deal with setting up my new insurance.  I am very grateful to have health insurance again, but now my insurance covers strips and a meter that I have never even heard of before.  Who knows what else I am going to have to change.

Maybe it is just me, but I really like to use my certain brands that work well for me, that work together with all of my medical supplies.  I wish that insurance didn't dictate what I'm allowed to use. 

BUT I'm just glad to have insurance again and that nothing bad happened for those two months without health insurance!

No comments: